Nowitzki Wins Magic Johnson Award
- For Immediate Release
- April 25, 2014
DALLAS -- Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki has been selected as the 2014 winner of the Magic Johnson Award, which recognizes excellence on the court and cooperation with the media and fans, the Pro Basketball Writers Association announced today.
Nowitzki, who averaged 21.7 points, 6.2 rebounds and 2.7 assists to lead the Mavericks to a 49-33 record and the No. 8 seed in the Western Coference playoffs, was one of six finalists for the award, joining Miami's Chris Bosh, Indiana's Paul George, San Antonio's Manu Ginobli, Houston's Dwight Howard and Memphis' Zach Randolph.
Eddie Sefko, Mavericks' beat writer from the Dallas Morning News and Marc Stein, senior NBA writer from ESPN.com will present the award to Nowitzki at halftime of Game 3 in Dallas.
The PBWA comprises approximately 175 writers and editors who cover the NBA on a regular basis and work for newspapers, internet services and magazines. For more information on the PBWA, go wo http://ProBasketballWriters.org
MAGIC JOHNSON AWARD WINNERS
- 2014 Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
- 2013 Shane Battier, Miami
- 2012 Steve Nash, Phoenix
- 2011 Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City
- 2010 Chris Bosh, Toronto
- 2009 Brandon Roy, Portland
- 2008 Derek Fisher, Los Angeles Lakers
- 2007 Shane Battier, Houston
- 2006 Grant Hill, Orlando
- 2005 Antawn Jamison, Washington
- 2004 Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana
- 2003 Jalen Rose, Chicago
- 2002 Elton Brand, Los Angeles Clippers
- 2001 Ray Allen, Milwaukee